123 DVD Copy Software Review
Over the next few weeks I will be exploring various different DVD copying programs, starting with X-OOM's 123 DVD Copy application. 123 DVD Copy, available for sale online, is a steal at just $29.99. In addition to being able to make great quality DVD to DVR-R/RW copies, it also offers the ability to copy a DVD movie to and from your hard disk. So you can download movies and burn them, or copy a few movies to your laptop's hard drive when you go on vacation. Most importantly there's a free addon to download that enables the copying of encrypted, "copy protected" disks with 123 Copy DVD.
Starting Using 123 DVD Copy
You can download the 123 DVD Copy software quickly after buying it online. It's around 5MB so it took me about a minute to get. After installing and running it you are presented with three options: copy the DVD movie to hard disk (yellow button), copy DVD movie to writable DVD (red button), and burn DVD movie from a file on your hard disk (green button). The most important feature is copying a DVD movie to a blank DVD disk so we'll explore that in detail. The other two features do make nice bonuses.
Copying a DVD With 123 DVD Copy
Copying a DVD movie with 123 DVD Copy is very simple. You put in any DVD movie disk into your computer's DVD drive, select it as the source movie and chose whether you want to copy the feature film only or copy all the menus and bonus material as well. Finally, you can also select which languages you want to copy. I recommend you copy just the feature film and the primary language track. That's because blank DVD disks often have less capacity (4.7GB) than commercial ones do (9GB) and 123 DVD Copy will recompress the DVD movie so that it fits on your writable disk. So if you only copy only the feature film and the primary language there will be more space left for the DVD movie and it won't lose much quality from the original. Finally, to copy the DVD movie, just select your burner, give the blank disk a name and click the start button. It should take less than an hour to rip, recompress and burn an entire movie. 123 DVD Copy is really that easy.
123 DVD Copy Features At A Glance
- The software supports most DVD burners and blank DVD media including DVD+R/RW and DVR-R/RW
- 123 DVD Copy runs on Windows XP, 2000, or 98 computers with a minimum of 10GB disk space free and 128MB of RAM.
- The software doesn't put any "watermarks" or tracking numbers into the copied DVD movie unlike some other commercial software
- It copies the DVD movie's original surround sound track exactly including both DTS and Dolby Digital audio
- It recompresses big movies to fit on smaller writable DVD disks
- Free ripper addon enables 123 Copy DVD to copy encrypted movies
- Sells online for $29.99, much less than other DVD copy programs